Balancing the scales of justice
- Continue Jeff Adachi’s legacy of ensuring our clients get fair trials and vigorous advocacy.
- End cash bail, restoring the presumption of innocence and moving away from distorted outcomes that are hardships on clients’ families.
- Provide top notch advocacy by thoroughly preparing cases for trial and skillfully locating expert opinions that fit into the theme of the case.
- Secure funding for support staff and provide early, collaborative investigation consults and case planning efforts for new cases.
- Jury trials are a cornerstone of democracy. Let’s do what we can to ensure that jury selection reflects the community of the accused.
- Keep prosecutors accountable, disincentivize overcharging and late discovery.
- Keep police accountable through effective collection and documentation of police misconduct.
- Establish an Integrity Unit, investigating convictions to make sure the sentence was fair.
- Work with the Immigration Unit to guarantee right to counsel to clients at risk of deportation.
- Support client rehabilitation efforts through ‘alternative courts’ to facilitate successful completion.
- Open source our public defense work to train other offices on more effective advocacy techniques and structures, supporting statewide and national movements for criminal justice reform
Real community engagement
- Support San Francisco families trying to escape the criminal legal system
- Engage transitional age youth with civic engagement cohorts to develop positive peer communities.
- Hire boots-on-the-ground social workers to activate communities and support clients with
- Mental health treatment
- Drug rehabilitation
- Enrollment in Free City College
- Tech internships
- Courtwatch: Demystify the criminal legal system by developing structures for community members to observe courtroom processes.
Learn more about Mano’s background: Meet Mano
Still have questions about Mano? Check out Frequently Asked Questions.