The Rhinoplastyor nose job allows you to modify and refine the shape of the nose to achieve a harmonious result with the face. The Nose Operation usually lasts between one and two hours and can be performed under local anesthesia and sedation or under general anesthesia. During the postoperative period of rhinoplasty, it is normal to have some discomfort, and a series of care and precautions must be taken to ensure optimal recovery.
We tell you what the Rhinoplasty Postoperative is like and what you can do to make your recovery after the Nose Operation faster and less annoying.
Recovery After Rhinoplasty
After a Nose Operation, 24 hours after the intervention, it is normal to have a swollen face and feel discomfort and a headache, which can be treated with analgesics. During that first day, you must lie down with your head elevated.
At the end of the Rhinoplasty, plugs are placed in the nose that will be removed after one to five days; during this period of time, it will be necessary to breathe through the mouth. To avoid touching or to hurt your nose, you will need to wear your nose in a plaster cast after rhinoplasty. Depending on the type of Nose Operation you have had (closed or open rhinoplasty), the plaster will be removed after one to two weeks.
The swelling and bruising continue to increase after the Nose Operation until reaching their maximum point after 2 to 3 days. To alleviate the discomfort, cold compresses can be applied in the area and thus help reduce the postoperative inflammation of the Rhinoplasty. Most of these symptoms disappear after two weeks, although a minimal swelling may persist in the area of the nose that will slowly go away.
After 48 hours, it will be possible to resumenormal activity, and, normally, in a week we will be ready to return to work. The results of Rhinoplasty are evident from the removal of the plaster, but the final result will not be final until a year has passed. There is a before and after rhinoplasty.
General Advice And Recommendations After A Rhinoplasty
It is important to emphasize postoperative care after the Rhinoplasty or Nose Operation so that you can have a good recovery. Day by day, the postoperative period of Rhinoplasty is crucial to leave behind the complexes and discomfort of the intervention. The first thing is to follow the doctor’s instructions, especially about the medication you have to take during the rhinoplasty recovery.
Therefore, the care during the postoperative period of the Nose Operation is essential that you know that:
- During the first days after rhinoplasty, it is normal for the nose to bleed or expel a bloody discharge. In case of a nosebleed, we should sit down and remain relaxed until it subsides on its own.
- Clean the nostrils with saline solution and avoid blowing your nose. If necessary, you can use decongestants.
- During the first days, we should avoid laughing, crying, or gesturing as much as possible.
- At the beginning of the postoperative rhinoplasty period, it is better to eat foods that are not too hot and that do not require much chewing.
- Avoid alcohol consumption during the first two weeks and do not smoke or be exposed to tobacco smoke during the first months, as it makes healing difficult.
- During the first weeks, intense exercises, some domestic activities, and sexual relations should be avoided.
- Avoid blows to the nose.
- Sleep on your back.
- It is not advisable to sunbathe during the first months. If we do, we must use a very high sun protection factor. It is also advisable to avoid the wind and cold.
- Contact lenses can be used again from the first moment if the doctor authorizes it, but if we wear glasses, we must take precautions during the first weeks.
- It is possible to shower normally but avoid getting the cast wet. It is preferable to wash your face with cold water, and in any case, we must avoid wetting the nose area.
In this way, if during the postoperative Rhinoplasty you follow the care that we recommend in this post and, above all, those indicated by your specialist doctor, you will have an optimal and fast recovery from the Nose Operation. You will be able to show off your nose in the blink of an eye!